It's kind of nice to sit back and evaluate where you are in your life every once in a while. Too often I am constantly on the go so stopping and thinking is nice.
I would rate my level of physical wellness at a 7. I get regular exercise because I am a Jazzercise instructor and even if I am not teaching one of the 4 classes per week I am constantly learning new songs or routines to teach. I am getting better nutrition now that I drink Body by Vi shakes for breakfast and sometimes dinner. I hate eating breakfast but with all my education I know I need to. It's much easier to drink good nutrition from a shake, for me anyway. Since I have been drinking them I have lost 15 inches and 7 pounds (it's been 8 wks). I have never been one to be strict on my diet! I want to live! Other than that I am in pretty good shape for a 37 year old who has had 4 children. I still need to lose some more weight though.
My spiritual well-being isn't where I would like it to be lately so I think I would have to rate it at a 6. I have a very close personal relationship with Jesus Christ and trust Him for all things in my life but lately I have used a busy schedule as an excuse to neglect spending time in prayer or reading my bible. To be honest both my husband and I have been feeling the same conviction lately. We have actually missed 3 Sunday's of church in a row and in the 15 years I have been serving God strongly I have never done that. I miss my time with God, it grounds me. But I have been too lazy (I say too busy but that just an excuse) to do anything about it. Even though I haven't been very active in spiritual things I still know who I am in Christ and that's what gets me through the hard days.
My psychological well-being would have to be like an 8. I am a pretty easy going person. Through many years of ministry I have learned to take my thoughts captive to the obedience of God (2 Cor 10:5). I have also learned to recognize stress as fear and fear is the opposite of faith. I have my moments, with a 16, 14, 6 and 4 year old how could you not? But I know who hold my Shalom in the palm of Him hand so my emotions don't rule me, I rule them. When I do feel stressed out I will go workout or run because I am a physical person and that's what calms my brain!
Goals for each area would be to continue to lose weight in the physical so I would just keep doing what I am doing. It's coming off slowly but surely. For the spiritual I need to make time to sit in the morning and read my bible and talk to God. I have written devotionals that were inspired by my "sitting at His feet" and I love being there. I really do need to get rid of the excuses and make the time. Psychological goals would be to involve my self in more prayer. Prayer is more effective for me than meditation so I will get more out of it when I do it.
The relaxation exercise was OK! I just had a hard time getting into it at first. This time I laid down instead of sat and really tried to focus like he said to. I guess I must not have much of an imagination because I was having a hard time envisioning a window on my body and light coming out. When he would tell me to say "I am grounded" I would hear in my head "my foundation is on the Rock" (Luke 6:48). Just about everyone I slipped in a scripture in its place. I would rather get my peace and strength from God's Word than anything else. Toward the end I was just wanting it to be done.
Tanya
Thank you for your comment. Tanya you sound really well rounded. I believe you underrated yourself in the spiritual area, and should add modest/humble to your positive aspects. How interesting, Jazzexercise! Is that that high energy or soothing? Meditation or yoga may work better for me since I lose weight fast during aerobics, etc.
ReplyDeleteI have not listened to the relaxation exeecise yet, but sounds relaxing, peaceful. I have a nephew but no children so I prefer quiet, low key activities. Children keep you pumped up!
Thank you Brigitte! Yup Jazzercise is high intensity workouts. I also teach a Personal Touch class in addition to regular Jazzercise. The PT is more sculpting and exhausting muscle groups. We didn't upper body yesterday so my arms, abs and shoulders are nice and sore today! I like yoga but I like the kid of yoga that Shaun T does in the Insanity workouts, it's a little extreme too. Like I said I am a physical person so I like to beat my body into submission.
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a big (and loud) Hispanic family. so even before I had kids I was still more comfortable in noise. My husband laughs at me and my 4 sisters because we can be in a crowded room and still be a part of 3 different conversations at a time. With all these kids around it's a good thing I don't like quiet because I would get it much!
Hi Tanya,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Brigitte. Even though you have missed previous Sunday sermon you do make it up in other ways. Sometimes you do not have to attend church to receive the word of God. Everyone in his or her way worship God but for you attending church services is important. I also need to make time for spiritual well-being (very lacking) and quit making excuses. Exercising is a way to relieve any stress factors encountered for the day but mostly I am stress free. I run on the treadmill for now but enjoy running outside more if weather permits to maintain my current weight. I do not need to loose weight so I do more toning exercises to keep my muscles nice and tight. After I complete this degree, I plan on getting my personal trainer certification so I may teach. High blood pressure and cardio vascular disease is prevalent in my family so eating healthy and exercising is an activity I do daily.
I know you will reach your desired weigh loss! Good luck.
Marivic
Hi Tanya,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Brigitte and Marivic, you do not need to be in a church to pray or do find God. Maybe on the Sundays that you can not make it you can take a walk to some where very quite and ground yourself and pray and you will find him. I am not a church person I do believe in God and he is always here for us, but I believe that the whole world is our church. When I first went to my massage lady and she did a chakra, reiki, craniosacral on me I saw so may different colors I had no idea what was going on and I asked her and the color I saw the most was white and she told me that it is my spirit letting God in. I still haven't found anything more relaxing than see her. I think you would really like it.
Hey Tanya,
ReplyDeleteI really like your story. I think that when we all find what works for us, it is true you do not have to be in a temple for God to hear you, all you need is to give that little bit of time out of your life to thank him and any other relations you would like to discuss with him. I have been slacking on the "church" issue as well, but I do find my peace in the morning when I wake up and in the night time when I lay myself down to sleep. We all have goals to either make or sustain, and I am glad to read that you know where you need to be. Heck if they had asked us this question 10 years ago, it would be a whole total different answer, right? Great post.. :) have a Blessed day and week.
Tanya
ReplyDeleteAlthough it doesn't make it right I think many of us use our stress and fear then back of from our religion. In fact we should do opposite of that it's our faith admission that we can't do it on our own that cause our spirituality to grow. For me it's knowing that I'm nothing without Jesus Christ and remembering that causes me to want to worship.
You seem like a very strong woman and I know you'll be fine, keep the faith and stay grounded, don't waiver and stay prayed up.
Octavia